When we furnish our bedrooms, we always think about the design and finish more than the bed mattress, pillow or bed quilt that will “host” them and on which, we actually will rest. Good day meets in the evening, from the moment you get finally to bed, after all the commotion and all the fatigue. With a good night’s sleep, all the stress of the day can go as never was. We are in search of eternal happiness, but happiness is sometimes hidding under our noses. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and feel it! Perhaps you haven’t ever thought about it, but it’s a truth scientifically proven: only one, a regular extra hour of sleep can do wonders.
The lack of quality sleep is one of the global problems of modern life; it’s said that between 30 and 45% of world population suffer from various forms of insomnia. The problem is that sometimes it isn’t enough to be overwrought to instantly fall asleep. If you’ve carefully chosen the pillow, mattress and quilt, they can be the best, and certainly, the healthiest sleeping pill ever! You don’t have to believe us, just try it. Once you realize their enormous importance, you face hundreds of choices. When it comes to a good and restful sleep, the role of a pillow is crucial. You must choose the right pillow with the same care you choose mattress and the rest ones. Each of us sleeps in his own way, so there are so many pillows to meet all your needs. Here are some steps you may follow in order to find your perfect pillow:
1. Before buying a pillow, it’s very importat to answer a few questions such as: Do your mornings start with a stiff neck since you’ve bought the actual pillow? In what way your old habits as well as your old needs sleep comfort have changed over time? What type of sleeper are you: a back sleeper, side sleeper or a stomach sleeper? Are you allergic? What is your budget for this type of purchase? In determining the budget, put the price in its real perspective: because we spend a third of our lives in bed, the pillow is one of the most important investment in improving sleep quality, and therefore the quality of life.
2. Determines what type of pillow suits you best. Find out from what materials they are made of and what models are available in the market depending on your needs. Be sure that there’s a pillow there made just for you. You’ll find an affordable choice of high, low and in-between pillows, especially designed to give your head and neck comfort and support and ease strain on your muscles. You can also find pillows that help keep you propped up in bed in front of a good book. The good news is that all this information is just a click away, on the Internet, where you can use pillows guide too in order to find the best pillow for you. It’s quite very easy.
Types of pillows by sleeping position:
a) Pillows for side sleepers – it’s a high pillow for those who prefer sleeping on their side. Keeps your head, neck and spine aligned and straight, so you can relax while sleeping.
b) Pillows for back sleepers – it’s a medium high pillow for those who prefer sleeping on their back. Provides support to your head and neck and reduces strain on your muscles.
c) Pillows for stomach sleepers – it’s a low profile pillow especially designed for people who sleep on their stomach. Reduces the strain on your neck muscles.
d) Pillows for both side and back sleepers – it’s a special pillow with a high part created for side sleep and a low part that provides good support if you sleep on your back. It’s a firm pillow that you recognize it easily after its interesting shape that follows the contours of your neck. It’s the so called pillow with memory, filled with polyurethane memory foam.
e) Normal pillows – it’s a support pillow to help you relax, sit up or read comfortably in bed or on the sofa.
- Down and goose or duck feathers
- Wool – lanolin content of pure virgin wool used for stuffing provides excellent thermal protection the body: during summer it protects you from heat and during winter it defends you from cold.
- Bamboo – bamboo is the largest species of “grass” on the planet. It grows amazingly fast (some varieties grow to 50 cm/day) and bamboo fiber is 40% more absorbent than cotton. Because of its hollow tubes, such filling is cool in summer and warm in winter. Given his remarkable natural growth, bamboo is ideal for people with sensitive skin.
- Nanofibres – nanofibres is the smoother and softer synthetic fiber. It is also the best choice for those allergic to down. Products filled with nanofibers provides, therefore, a good night’s sleep also to those who suffer from allergies. Ideal for children too.
Therefore, you’ll find down and feather pillows, memory foam and foam pillows, and polyester pillows, each one created for a specific purpose.
3. If you gather all possible information and you haven’t decided yet, which type of pillow suits you best, you can ask for more information from sellers online or in the stores. Whether you purchase it online or pay a visit to the store, it’s highly recommended to test it before. Lie down, turn around from side to side, just how you do when you sleep. Pay attention to how the pillow supports your head and neck, so you’ll find exactly how you’ll feel every night when you go to sleep.
4. In order to extend the life of the pillow and to protect it from stains, use a pillow protector. A quality pillow protector or pillowcase, washable, it is absolutely necessary to keep the sleeping environment clean and fresh. The pillow protector’s material should absorb and transport moisture away to keep you dry at night. And don’t forget the fact that pillows have to be changed periodically to ensure a healthy and restful sleep. How often? Well, it depends on the filling material. Depending on the initial quality, a synthetic pillow for example has a lifetime up to 2 years. Whilist, a natural filled pillow (feathers, down, natural fibers) has a lifetime up to 10 years.