If you have the room to add an outdoor patio or deck to your backyard, you might wonder what to do to make it stand out and become an oasis.
Photo by Collov Home Design on Unsplash
From furniture to decoration, there are plenty of ways to give your deck a unique and inviting atmosphere. The good news is that it doesn’t need to take a lot of effort or money to make your outdoor space look amazing. In this article, we’ll give you 10 ideas you can use to turn your deck into the perfect outdoor retreat.
Prerequisites for Building an Outdoor Deck
Before you start decorating your deck, be sure you’ve taken care of all the practical elements. A few essential prerequisites include:
- Building codes and regulations: Depending on where you live, there may be local regulations that specify the size and shape of your project, or even dictate materials you must use. You may also need a permit.
- Structure: Make sure your deck is strong enough to support whatever furniture and decorations you plan to put on it.
- Groundwork: The soil underneath the deck should be level and sturdy. Since you’ll need to use screw piles for decks to secure the deck to the ground, you’ll also want to call 811 to ensure there are no buried utilities where you plan on digging.
- Decking material: Choose the right kind of decking materials for your project, keeping in mind that some may require more maintenance than others.
- HOA approval: If you’re part of a homeowners association, be sure to get approval for your project before you start building.
Once all the prerequisites are taken care of, you can build your outdoor deck and transform your yard into a functional outdoor space.
7 Ideas for Decorating Your Deck
Once you’ve built your outdoor deck, it’s time to start decorating! Here are 10 ideas that can help you create a beautiful outdoor area:
1. Create a lounge area
An outdoor lounge area is one of the best and most popular ways to bring your deck to life. Here are a few essentials for yours:
- Couches: Choose comfortable, weatherproof couches that can handle sun and rain, or invest in furniture covers to protect them from the elements. You can find chic and stylish outdoor furniture at most home and garden stores, or you can buy affordable outdoor furniture on several online retailers.
- Chairs: When it comes to outdoor furniture, chairs are a must. It’s best to look for chairs with plenty of cushioning for maximum comfort, as well as ones that are easy to move around when necessary.
- Table: A small table is essential for drinks and food. Plus, it holds the outdoor space together.
- Cover: Without a way to cover your space, it’s not going to last. Invest in an outdoor cover or canopy that will keep your lounge area safe from the weather and make it more usable in any circumstance.
2. Add a fire pit
Nothing says outdoor living like a cozy fire. A fire pit is the perfect way to add warmth and ambiance to your outdoor space, as well as a great gathering spot for family and friends on chilly evenings. If you want to install a fire pit, there are two ways you could do it. If you’re on a budget, you can purchase a fire pit at Lowe’s or The Home Depot for around $100.
If you want something more permanent, you could hire a mason or contractor to build a brick fire pit or seating area. Going this route will cost you several thousand dollars and take much longer to complete. If you have the space, time, and money for it, it will definitely be worth it.
3. Hang string lights or lanterns
String lights and lanterns are an easy way to add a touch of magic to any outdoor space. Make sure you get waterproof, UL-certified lights so they can withstand the weather and won’t be a fire hazard. You can hang them in trees, wrap them around railings, or hang them from the eaves of your deck. Don’t forget to use LED bulbs; they’re energy-efficient and will save you money in the long run.
4. Light up your space with tiki torches or solar lights
Tiki torches are a great way to light up your outdoor space in a more natural and rustic way. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors so you can find the perfect ones to suit your style. Solar lights are another great way to add light to your outdoor space without using electricity. You can find them in all shapes, sizes, and colors to match any decor. Plus, they’re very energy-efficient and won’t break the bank.
5. Invest in outdoor area rugs
Outdoor area rugs are a great way to add texture, color, and style to your deck without spending a fortune. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, so you can find one that fits perfectly with your outdoor decor. Adding a rug will also give your home a more “homey” feel and make it feel like an extra room. Especially if maximizing indoor-outdoor living is your goal, making your new patio area feel like an extension of your house can be a great idea.
6. Add some shade with a pergola or gazebo
If you want to make your outdoor space more usable and comfortable, adding some shade is key. A pergola is a great way to add a little bit of extra style and protection from the sun. If you don’t have the budget for an expensive pergola, you can find affordable gazebos at most home improvement stores (or you can build one yourself). If you want to add a fixture like this to your outdoor area, it will look best away from your deck or patio as a separate area, so this option is best for those who have large backyard areas.
7. Add some color with plants and flowers
Adding plants and flowers to your outdoor area is a great way to add color, texture, and life to the space. Depending on the look you’re going for, you can go with a floral arrangement in large planters, line your deck railing with potted plants, or hang baskets from the eaves. You can also add texture by planting grass or small shrubs around the perimeter of your deck to give it some extra definition and life.
8. Install an outdoor sound system
Installing a multi-zone audio system is the perfect way to take your outdoor living space to the next level. With this type of system, you can create different “zones” that play different music or soundtracks. This way, everyone can enjoy the sound system at their own level.
These are just a few of the ways you can make your deck the perfect outdoor retreat. With a little bit of creativity and effort, you can create an oasis that’s perfect for relaxing, entertaining, and spending time with family and friends.