What are Solar Panels
Solar panels harness energy from the sun to power your home in an environmentally friendly and cost effective way. This guide will assist in helping you make an informed decision when selecting a solar power system.
Why solar panels? Key Benefits of Installing a Solar Power System.
- Cost effective- significantly reduce your annual energy bill
- Clean energy- lower carbon emissions and the use of fossil fuels
- A renewable, reliable and readily available energy source
- A smart investment -increase the value of your property
- Scalable- the addition of a solar battery can store energy for later use.
It may vary where you live, but in Sydney there are incentives to help you install a solar power system. Speak with your installer, check in with your local council and government websites to find out whether you’re eligible for:
* STC (small scale technology certificate)
* government grants, subsidies, rebates and incentives for new or existing developments
* Ability to sell your excess energy back to the grid, adding further financial reward.This is referred to as “feed in tariff” and is paid by your electricity retailer.
Making your section: Choosing a Solar Energy System that’s Right for You
Solar Panels and Mounting System.
Solar panels are most commonly mounted on the roof of your property or in other prime, sun-exposed positions. Solar panels should be high-quality, durable and installed by professionals. It is important to factor the mounting system into your selection and budget. If you live in a heavily shaded location be sure to discuss your options with an expert.
The size of the solar panel system will depend on the amount of energy required, and is defined by the number of Watts a system produces per hour. Choosing the appropriate sized system is vital to enjoying the full benefits of your installation. There are online tools or expert installers who can help you determine the correct size system.
Solar Panel Inverters
The solar panel inverter does the energy conversion so that energy captured from the panel becomes usable energy to power your home. In Australia’s harsh climate, it’s imperative that you choose the best solar inverters with a strong Manufacturer’s Warranty.
Solar Power Battery Storage
A Battery system is an optional addition to your solar energy system. Batteries store energy so that you can power your appliances at night, or on a rainy, overcast day. Batteries can be used at the time of installation of your panels, or you may wish to add to your solar power system at a later date. Solar battery prices are decreasing, making it more accessible for many households.
- Enquire about subsidies, grants or rebates from your government, local council and installers
- Ensure your equipment comes from a reputable manufacturer, with a substantial warranty in place. Check the fine print to learn exactly what is covered under the Warranty.
- Obtain at least two quotes
- Does the quoted price already take into consideration the discount from government rebates? In many cases the answer will be yes!
- Install as many panels as you can afford.
- Don’t put off installing solar panels while you wait for the solar battery price to drop
- Consider commercial solar installation to bring your business into the future and see big savings.