Easy Extension Cost Calculator for Homeowners

Home extensions have become exceedingly popular in recent years and for a good reason. Not only does adding an extension give you more usable space, but it can also improve your property value. 

If you ever decide to sell, an extension will help make your house more attractive to buyers. However, building an extension doesn’t always come cheap. Here’s how you can determine the cost of your home extension with Moderniser’s extension cost calculator.

Understanding the project

Extensions come in all sizes. You may want to add a bedroom or extend the kitchen. Some people even decide to build a guest home. Before you begin adding up costs, you need to understand the size of your project.

The most common extensions include single-storey, double-storey, side, rear, and garage. Outbuildings are also popular. Depending on the style you choose, you may need to obtain different permissions.

Working with a skilled contractor is the best way to design an extension that meets your needs. Your contractors should also note any other budgeting elements, such as plumbing, electric, foundation, roof, or gas lines. Some jobs may require hiring specialists, such as an electrician. The more people you need to hire to build your extension, the more you’ll end up paying.

Potential issues

You never know what problems you may run into when adding an extension. While your contractor will look for potential issues before beginning, they can’t always see everything. For instance, they may stumble across structural problems, such as water damage or cracked foundation.

It’s also imperative to find out what permits may be required from your local municipality. Your contract should be familiar with the various construction regulations, and they can lead you in the right direction.

Other considerations

While your home is under construction, you may want to consider making other improvements. If you live in an older house, now may be the time to upgrade your flooring or rewire your house. It’s also the ideal time to make any changes to your plumbing or gas lines. Of course, all additional changes will increase the cost of the project.

The basic breakdown

When determining how much an extension will cost, you should consider both the cost of the materials and the price of labour. Generally speaking, the cost of materials will total about 55% of the total cost of the project, while labour will make up the remaining 45%. Most homeowners should set aside between £10,000 and £15,000 to cover the cost.

Although this price may seem high to some, the payoff is worth the investment. As one of the simpler construction projects, you can complete an extension while living at home. Furthermore, you’ll create more indoor space for your family to use and enjoy. 


More Reading

Post navigation

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *