There is something unpleasant looking that forms in your house. It thrives in dark, damp places and can spread quite quickly. You won’t notice it until you wonder why you cannot stop sneezing. The culprit? Mold has made its way into your home.
But depending on the severity of the mold, there are home remedies you can do to remove it yourself. If you are overwhelmed with mold, or it has basically taken over an entire wall, it is best to leave the mold removal to the pros.
If you want to attempt to remove mold on your own, here are a few tips to help you out.
We all know how powerful bleach is, so it’s an excellent place to start for removing mold. It is really good for not only cleaning up the mold but also sanitizing the surface and making it resistant to mold growth in the future.
The fumes from bleach are harsh. Make sure the room is well ventilated and if needed, cover your face with a mask. Wear gloves to protect your hands from the chemical. Use one cup of bleach with one gallon of water. Apply the mixture directly to the mold with a sponge or a spray bottle. Leave it on unless the area you are cleaning will come in contact with people or food. For starting the house cleaners in Australia, AU Simply Maid is a very good resource in terms of removing mold
Bleach is not effective on porous materials like wood and drywall. The chemical does not go far enough into those surfaces to kill the mold at its roots. It ends up staying on the surface of the porous material, making it a feeding ground for mold to grow back.
If you want something powerful enough to kill mold but without using harsh chemicals like bleach, try borax. It is a natural cleaner (although toxic if ingested) that can easily be found in the laundry section. It is a powerful cleaner without having to breathe in harsh fumes.
Just like with bleach, pour one cup of borax into one gallon of water. Before you apply the mixture, try to vacuum up any loose mold to prevent spores from leaking into the air. Then grab a scrub brush and scrub the mold away. Leave the solution on and let it dry to prevent mold growth in the future.
Tea Tree Oil
If you want to go green and find a natural cleaner that won’t be hard on you and the environment, tea tree oil is worth a short. Tea tree is a natural fungicide (also toxic if ingested) which is quite useful in removing mold and mildew growth. Although it is a more expensive option, your health will thank you for it.
Mix two teaspoons of the oil into 2 cups of water and pour into a spray bottle. You can also use old towels to apply the solution to the mold. Leave to dry as a mold prevention solution.
Start with these three options as a way to remove mold on your own. If they end up not working, or there is just too much mold, hire a professional to clean the mold up thoroughly.