Lighting is key to amplify a great home’s design. It allows you to set the atmosphere of your home solely through the choice of fixtures and strategic positioning.
If done tastefully, lighting affects the ambiance and mood of a space. Modernizing light fixtures and using contemporary lighting for hallways and dark corners can make a noticeable difference. With many options to choose from, like lamps, flush mounts, pendants, and task lights, you can purposefully transform all your rooms. Browsing interior design product sourcing platforms can be the start of choosing better lighting for the home. Here are some great tips for creating a well-lighted home.
- Consider ceiling height – Calculating your ceiling height is crucial when choosing suspended or hanging light fixtures. Some options might be available with adjustable cables or rods. A basic rule to remember ceiling height, the bottom of the light should suspend about 12 to 20 inches below a typical 8-foot ceiling.
- Layer Your Lighting, brighten your room – A simple way to create drama and ambiance in the room is to take a layered approach to light with different light sources across different levels. Commence with overhead lights to brighten the room. Further, you can add in dimension through accent lighting. Additional elements like a table or floor lamps or scones add an extra appeal while making your space feel inviting.
- Lighting, which adds value – Acknowledging the functions lights will have in each room is key while picking up options. For instance, cooking needs focused lighting, while for activities like reading, flexible and directional lighting are a good pick. A combination of sidelights and downlights is perfect for Powder rooms.
- Choose the Right Size – Finding the right light for your space is often the most challenging part, but maintaining the right lighting scale can make or break your space’s balance. Choosing a larger light fixture can overwhelm your space. While picking a smaller one will fall short in terms of functionality. Balancing and selecting the right lighting fixtures can pull together a room while simultaneously improving how you live in it.
- Make a statement with modern chandeliers – A modern chandelier can instantly add glamour and jazz to a room. You can always find a chandelier that matches your taste and your budget. An important thing to be mindful of is the size of the space before buying the chandelier. You may also buy a statement piece that becomes the focal point or a smaller one that complements your decor moderately.
- Create Moments with lights – A great way to create memorable moments in your home is to incorporate lighting into your home. Installing a sconce light on top of an art installation will instantly elevate the room.
- Know your glow – The light fixture should not be your only consideration — the type of lightbulb is equally essential. Halogen, fluorescent, and LED bulbs come in a range of warm or cold hues. Much like your walls’ color, the type of glow you want varies from indivisual to indivisual. If your walls are painted in cooler tones, you might want to warm them up with a lightbulb that casts a warm glow. Conversely, you may want a more relaxed light to brighten up a darker space.
- Contrast your lighting styles – Contrast lighting styles is one of the hottest lighting trends that instantly adds drama to any decor. Contrast lighting works beautifully on open floor plans. If you have an open concept dining and kitchen space, try mixing styles and shapes between your kitchen pendants and the light over your dining table. High contrast pieces will instantly upgrade the space.
- Light up those stairs – Chandeliers and staircases complement each other like wine and cheese. Step lights, linear LED accents, and embed lights help showcase staircases and make them safer to traverse. Stairway lighting also improves safety and prevents home accidents.
- Design intentional symmetry – Placing symmetrical and matching table lamps is the easiest way to make a statement. It is the most effortless way to bring balance and calmness to a room. Intentional symmetry never goes out of style and is the easiest way to light up a room.
A crucial element of any room, the right lighting can take a scheme from dark and dingy to cozy and welcoming with the flick of a switch. From glamorous artsy lamps to whimsical modern chandeliers, transform your space with these gorgeous lighting ideas.
Author Bio: Vivek is a global sourcing expert and has worked with and assisted clients with their sourcing requirements for 1000+ projects in his 15+ years in the industry. With the aim to fulfill the evolving needs and demands of architects, interior designers, project managers, and HNIs, he started Arcedior – the most loved, curated products platform with 50,000+ products from 500+ brands spanning 30 countries. Being a design enthusiast with an eye for details, he also started a group on LinkedIn called ‘Design Leaders Roundtable – A Collaborative Community for Architects & Interior Designers’ which now has over 4K members. In his free time, he loves to travel with his family.