The idea of having to constantly heat water in big tank may sound wasteful and ineeficient. In this case, a tankless water heater may be the right option for you. There are quite a few advantages, as well as disadvantages of this option and understanding all of these can help you decide if this is in fact the right option for your home. You can also find more information when you talk to the professionals at the City Gas Company.
Advantages of a Tankless Water Heater
- More affordable: Tankless water heaters will cost more initially; however, over time the savings will accumulate.
- Longer lifespan: The traditional tank water heater is designed to last for a period of 10 to 13 years; however, tankless systems can last up to 20 years making the savings significant.
- Save space: Even if you don’t care about the money saving aspect, you may find the idea of space saving extremely appealing. You can use this space that would otherwise be taking by a big, bulky tank and use it in another way.
Disadvantages of a Tankless Water Heater
Just like with anything else, while there are advantages, there are also a number of disadvantages that need to be understood in order to make an educated decision. These disadvantages include:
- Limited output of hot water: Traditional tank water heaters will store between 40 and 60 gallons of hot water at a time, ensuring that it is available on demand. Tankless water heaters have a limited capacity and can only supply a few gallons of heated water at the same time.
- Higher cost upfront: You can purchase a tank water heater for a reasonable amount of money, while the tankless units can up twice as much or more. However, the savings are seen down the road, but if you don’t have the initial investment to make you should not consider this option.
- Higher energy requirements: It is important to consider the type of unit, if it runs on electricity it may cost more than natural gas.
As you can see there are a number of pros and cons that are present when purchasing a tankless water heater. Considering all the options can help you make an educated decision regarding whether or not this is the right option for your particular needs. For more information, you can talk to the professionals from City Gas Company. Doing this will ensure that the right solution for your home is purchased.