3 Things Around the House That Could be Hurting You and You Don’t Know It

It may sound dramatic thinking that the things around your house could hurt you. Well, obviously, things like knives can hurt somebody.

Photo by form PxHere

However, many more innocuous, everyday items could seriously injure somebody if used in the wrong way or without care. Now that the pandemic has everybody working from home, it’s probably a good idea to have an idea of what things could be hurting you, and you don’t even know it. Here are the top three worst things around the household.

1. LED Screens All Day and All Night

Did you know that watching LED screens all day and night can give you led headaches? It can also be a considerable strain on the eyes, making them feel sore and overused after hours of staring at a bright screen. The blue light in LED lighting actually damages the retina and negatively impacts natural sleep patterns and rhythms. When the blue light damages the retina, it leads to an irreversible loss of the retinal cells, which leads to vision not being as sharp.

Photo by form PxHere

Whether the exposure is acute or chronic, it can cause harm to the eyes and body either way. Chronic exposure is a little bit less dangerous, but even that level of blue light exposure can speed up the aging process of retinal tissue. It also can further progress eye problems like age-related macular degeneration. Try to limit exposure to blue light and LED lighting whenever possible.

2. Overloaded Extension Cords

This is a big one. Extension cords aren’t inherently dangerous, but the way people tend to use them is definitely hazardous. To start, they’re a tripping hazard. However, that’s not the worst part-;according to the CDC, extension cords cause thousands of residential fires every year, some even resulting in death. Fires and issues are caused by overloading and misuse. Many people think that an extension cord can handle unlimited devices, but this isn’t the case. So, they load them up with all sorts of plugs, and then the cord becomes overloaded.

Image by A3DigitalStudio from Pixabay

Think about it like this: extension cords are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be a permanent solution. Power strips also aren’t a good idea and aren’t meant to be overloaded with too many plugs. Look for a surge protector instead. Extension cords should never be plugged into one another, only the wall, and it shouldn’t be plugged into a power strip, either.

3. Chipped and Scratched Non-Stick Cookware

Image by carlo sardena from Pixabay

Many homeowners don’t realize the dangers of non-stick cookware. While the Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) coatings make it super simple to make an omelet without burning the cheese, that same coating also releases toxic gases once it heats up enough. This is incredibly dangerous and can cause serious harm over time. Another way non-stick pots and pans are unsafe is when metal utensils are used on them. This releases the toxic coating, and it wears down over time, too. It can even flake off into the food during cooking. A piece of non-stick cookware that has chips and flakes missing should always be thrown out.

Be Wary of These 3 Dangerous Household Items That Can Hurt You

Photo by form PxHere

It’s pretty scary thinking that regular household items can be unknowingly hurting you while you’re just living everyday life at home. That’s why it’s essential to have an awareness of your surroundings and always use products the way they’re intended. Something like an extension cord (or electric blanket) can be a significant fire risk if it’s misused. Constant exposure to LED screens and using non-stick cookware can also be dangerous. Pay close attention to household items and always lock up poisonous cleaning chemicals, especially if you have kids or pets. That way, you and your family can stay safe and happy every day.


More Reading

Post navigation

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *