The term scaffolding is used heavily in the construction industry. It pertains to the temporary structure that supports not only the formwork but the construction workers as well. A scaffolding structure needs to be durable and firm enough to sustain the many things or people placed on it. Most of the time, this structure is comprised of steel or timber since these materials can carry heavy objects very well. This article will discuss scaffolding and its importance in construction.
Are Scaffolding Structures Regulated?
Yes, these structures follow specific safety regulations and standards to reduce the likelihood of casualties as constructions take place. In general, scaffolding surrounds the entire building, which applies to buildings of tall heights as well.
About 40% of construction-related accidents happen due to faulty scaffolding. Because of this, it is not surprising that strict regulations get implemented to prevent accidents from occurring.
The Basic Components of Scaffolding
A typical scaffolding structure consists of the following components:
- Guard rail
Some Common Types of Scaffolding
Here are some common scaffolding variations utilized in construction:
- Single scaffolding – consisting of outer rows of standards, this scaffolding type is widely used for brickwork-type infrastructures.
- Double scaffolding – this supporting system is established with the help of masons for plastering.
- Birdcage scaffolding – the cage design makes it ideal for internal work, allowing workers to easily relocate this scaffolding when needed.
- Needle scaffolding – this scaffolding variant doesn’t require it to be built at the lower levels, keeping these spaces free for other purposes.
- Suspended scaffolding – as the name implies, the suspension involved makes it is ideal for working on very tall buildings.
- Trestle scaffolding – consisting of two ladders with their top ends joined together, this scaffolding variant is generally used for light construction work.
The Importance of Scaffolding in Construction
Regardless of a construction project’s size, having a scaffolding built is likely required. It remains an essential prerequisite to building activities up to this day because it makes tasks much safer and uncomplicated. When working on a very tall infrastructure, having a scaffolding erected would significantly reduce the risk of falling and other accidents.
However, the accident prevention that comes with this structure is not limited to the workers. Some scaffolding equipment such as fence tarp or safety barrier netting protects the general public as the construction activities take place.
Scaffolding allows workers to access parts of a building that are usually hard to reach. Making these areas easier to access will let the workers do their jobs without interruptions, which will probably result in the construction job getting accomplished quickly and efficiently.
Scaffolding structures are indispensable for most construction-related activities. Aside from preventing accidents from happening, they make things generally easier and more efficient for construction workers. By utilizing scaffolding London, workers would save much time. However, following the specific safety regulations and measures that come with it is crucial at all times. Keeping them in mind during a building project will significantly reduce the chances of casualties.