Bathing is becoming a more private experience. Shrinking houses and budgets are making people less interested in whirlpools and hot tubs, and more in solo baths.
Baths are good for the body and good for the mind. How can we make them even better?
- High-quality bath liquids. A good selection of soaps, shampoos, exfoliants, and bubble baths make your bathing experience varied and fun. Why stick to just one brand or one scent?
- Good bath caddies. You don’t need the inconvenience of picking bottles and soap bars out of your bath whenever they get knocked off the side. With a good bath caddy, all bottles and bars stay out of your way, but within easy reach.
- Free-standing bathtubs. Contemporary bathtubs are often set off to the side in an alcove. This is terrible for relaxation, especially if you dislike confined spaces. Now that baths are becoming more important, many homeowners are opting for free-standing tubs. These can be used as focal points in a room, giving bathers space to stretch out and relax. It also gives a bather a view of all the walls of a bathroom, giving you a chance to decorate with relaxing and beautiful art.
- Advanced tub fillers for free-standing bathtubs. Many tub fillers nowadays can do a lot more than just filling a tub. Hand shower and freestanding shower attachments in particular can improve your bathing experience. Waterfall faucets can add a lovely auditory and sensory experience.
- Bathing sound systems. Sound systems are great, but it’s a pain to get out of the bath and back into it just to adjust volume or track. Ordinary remotes and panels are dangerous near water, so they’re out. Specific bath sound systems have water-proof and safe control panels. Voice-activated technology is also becoming affordable and effective.
- Relaxing lighting. Soften up your light with opaque windows, dimmer switches, and candles. If you want to get fancy (who doesn’t?), use LED lights installed in the bathtub or filler to light up the bath water.
- Diffusers. Use essential oils in a diffuser to improve your experience. Choose oils appropriate to your mood: lavender and bergamot to relax, basil and peppermint to wake you up or energize you for a night out.
- Towel stands. Make your bathroom feel like a spa with bath towel racks within easy reach!
Anne Flemings loves interior designing and is always in pursuit of the latest changes and trends in home improvement. Her other interests lies in cooking, painting and blogging. She is an enthusiast homemaker who lives in Toronto with her husband and two kids. She can be followed on twitter.